Thursday 26 April 2012

There was an interesting moth in the trap this morning! I had thought it was a Lasiocampidae or Lymantriidae but after some failed searching I asked Gary Anweiler for help. Gary ID'd it as Twilight Moth (Lycia rachelae). I hadn't considered Geometridae at all. Live and learn..:). Apparently this moth would normally finish it's flight before full darkness. I did put the light trap out well before sunset so perhaps that is the trick. Either way this is definitely a new backyard moth for me and is my second new moth of the year bringing my backyard macro total to 197. At this rate 200 will be a breeze. Thanks again to Gary for the info'.

Twilight Moth (Lycia rachelae)
Twilight Moth (Lycia rachelae)
Twilight Moth (Lycia rachelae)
Twilight Moth (Lycia rachelae)

No comments:

Post a Comment