Sunday 29 July 2012

I staged a very small backyard moth evening last night as my contribution to National Moth Week.  Actually, there were just four of us. Unfortunately, the temperature dropped quite quickly so there were not a great number of moths. In fact, I only recorded 30 moths of  15 species but we did see 2 new backyard species for the year, Pointed-winged Wave (Scopula ancellata) and American Ear Moth (Amphipoea americana).  In addition to this I found two mating Police Car Moths (Gnophaela vermiculata) in the grass a few hours before sunset.  We've seen Police car moths in our backyard before but they have never settled so this was a nice surprise.  I've included a photograph of a Satyr Comma that turned up in my bait trap this afternoon.  Not quite as exciting as the Question mark, which apparently was only the second confirmed sighting for Alberta but nice to see that the bait trap is working.
American Ear Moth (Amphipoea americana)

Police Car Moth (Gnophaela vermiculata)


Pointed-winged Wave (Scopula ancellata)

 Satyr Comma (Polygonia satyrus)

 Satyr Comma (Polygonia satyrus)

No comments:

Post a Comment