Thursday 5 July 2012

There were 9 macro moths of 9 species in my light trap last night. One Noctuid I haven't identified yet. Of the 8 macros that I have identified, 5 were new for the year and 2 were new for my backyard. The new backyard species were Birch Angle Moth (Macaria notata) and Arched Hooktip Moth (Drepana arcuata). This is my first Hooktip moth and a nice fresh looking specimen!! The Birch Angle Moth is a worn specimen but still a nice looking moth. The other new species for the year were Mountain Hooded Owlet Moth (Cucullia montanae), Stormy Arches (Polia nimbosa) and Virgin Tiger (Grammia Virgo). I didn't see any Tiger moths last year either in my backyard or elsewhere so glad to see this one.
Arched Hooktip Moth (Drepana arcuata)

Arched Hooktip Moth (Drepana arcuata)

Virgin Tiger (Grammia Virgo)

Mountain Hooded Owlet Moth (Cucullia montanae)

Stormy Arches (Polia nimbosa)
Birch Angle Moth (Macaria notata)

No comments:

Post a Comment