Wednesday 24 July 2013

Three moths, a dragonfly and a butterfly of the Okanagan

I didn’t put the light trap out last night so there is not much to report on today.  There were 2 moths in the bait trap but nothing new for the year.  As it turned out the storms did not materialize but putting the light trap out seems to be a bit of lottery at the moment.  However, I am planning to put the light trap out tonight.  As I have no local moths to report on I thought I would show a few photographs that were taken in the Southern Okanagan a couple of weeks ago.  With regards to the moth that I have identified as Digrammia subminiata it could be a Decorated Granite Moth (Digrammia decorata) but I am leaning towards subminiata because of the overall ground colour and the slight orange tinges on the forewing.  That’s just a best guess though.  There were several Monarch butterflies hanging around and apparently, fighting over the Buddleia in the backyard of the B&B that we stayed in. The Eight-spotted Skimmer (Libellula forensis) was photographed along the Vaseux lake boardwalk.  Petrophila kearfottalis is quite an attractive looking Crambid moth with a wingspan of approximately  21mm.  The Isabella Tiger Moth was another new species for me.

Eight-spotted Skimmer (Libellula forensis) Petrophila kearfottalisIsabella Tiger Moth (Pyrrharctia isabella)  (2)Isabella Tiger Moth (Pyrrharctia isabella)  (1)

Monarch butterfly

Digrammia subminiata

No comments:

Post a Comment